Saturday, May 24, 2008

Boston Butts (aka Pulled Pork)

The ingredients for the rub and the injection

The butts prepared for the rub

Getting a little help

Injecting the butts

On the Big Green Egg ready for smoking

I hope all is well. I am embarking on my first attempt to smoke “Boston Butts” (pulled pork) this weekend. The fun began this afternoon by making the dry rub and the liquid injection. The butts were then rubbed, wrapped and refrigerated for 4 hours. They have now been removed from the frig and place in the Big Green Egg for the next 12-15 hours. A mixture of Apple and Maple chips were soaked all afternoon and joined the butts in the grill.

If you are within 1,000 miles, feel free to hop in the car and head this way. Hopefully, we will have a yummy BBQ sandwich waiting for you. I did smoke several chickens last weekend, so there is a back up plan if the pork does not work out. Seriously, if you are in Indy feel free to drop by tomorrow afternoon/ evening for a cold adult beverage and a game of “corn hole” (aka “bags” aka “tailgate toss”). We should have plenty of food and the beer will be on ice by 8:00 tomorrow morning. I will let you know how they turn out, Nick

2 comments:

Button said...

These look FANTASTIC!!! You'll have to let me know how they taste--wonderful, I'm sure! Wish you were down here at the beach with all of us. Looking forward to July! (I also need to know what you want for your birthday!) :)

StaceyLWillis said...

That looked yummy!! Wish I could have been there!