Sunday, May 18, 2008

BC

Crawling under my exersaucer

Yesterday morning I was making a comparison of life now to life BC (that is, Before Carter). He has been a little under the weather lately, and my champion sleeper had a rough night Friday night. So, yesterday morning, after a fitful night of sleep for all of us, at 7:30, I looked at the clock and chuckled to myself. I had already unloaded the second half of the dishwasher (Nick unloaded the first half and posponed unloading the second half when Carter decided to try to climb into it!), fed Carter, and was pouring a cup of coffee and toasting a bagel. Carter was happily playing on the floor in the den.


I chuckled because a year ago--or any time prior to that--here is how my morning would have gone: Nick got up about 6:30 to leave to go play golf. I would blissfully sleep until about 9-ish, at which point I would pour that cup of coffee and toast my bagel. I would then veg in my PJs for probably another hour. After an indulgent shower (can't remember the last shower I took without fear of a child waking!), I would start my day around 11ish with a focus on what I wanted/needed to accomplish for the day.


Just as I was running through the differences in my head, I heard a little one "talking" to me. As I looked over our counter and talked back, I saw the sweetest smile, complete with dimples, as Carter bounced his arms up and down in excitement prior to crawling towards me.

Blissful sleep is a very distant second. Scratch that. Blissful sleep isn't even in the race.

4 comments:

Maggie Pelton said...

Sweet thoughts. I totally agree. You never knew before a baby that sleep was so precious.

The Powells said...

I second the fact that you never realized how precious sleep was until you go without. I hope he starts feeling better soon!

Jody, Andrea, Banks, Mary Reese & Owen said...

i a m g l a d i a m y o u r c o u s i n. i m i s s y o u.

cooper banks murphree.

Leigh Collins said...

Oh the joys of motherhood! I catch myself daydreaming of the same thing and just when you start to miss those wonderful times to yourself, one of your little miracles seems to always remind you how special they are - whether its cooing, babbling, crawling, walking, or full out 3 year old conversations! As my mom tells me all the time, "Enjoy your babies and the lack of sleep now because you can sleep when you're old!"