Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Worn Out

We're still here; I'm just really tired! I know I don't have a corner on the "I've-got-a-newborn-and-I'm-exhausted" market, but it is true nonetheless. I am one of those people who needs my 8 hours of sleep a night, so this phase of parenthood really wears on me. It is totally worth it, but I feel like I am existing most days in some sort of sleepy haze with a few days here and there that feel normal whatever that is.

I had my first experience of being a single parent of two this week as Nick traveled to Alabama for a funeral. It was indeed an experience. The first day/night, Callen decided to exercise her lungs and cry more in a 24 hour period than I've heard her do previously. The next day, she seemed to be much more even-keeled, but Carter had lots of little bumps on his tongue that were causing him pain, so he fussed all afternoon/evening. Nick got home late last night (or, rather early this morning) and things seemed to be much better when we all woke up this morning! Whew. Thank goodness.

We introduced Callen to tummy time this weekend for a little bit, and she didn't totally hate it. In fact, she was moving her head from side to side, so I thought that was pretty good for the few minutes she was down there.

Carter is becoming more interested in her "toys" {the swing, the play mat, the bouncy seat}, but usually it is to play with it in some unintended way. He likes to throw a ball into the swing {as if it is a basketball goal} don't worrry, he doesn't do it when Callen is in the swing, and he likes to dive on to the play mat, under the bars that hold the toys. However, he has decided that the bouncy seat is a pretty comfy place to watch TV. Too funny!

4 comments:

Button said...

Leave it to that Carter-man to try out all Callen's neat "stuff!"

Love y'all!
Aunt B

Anonymous said...

Wish I could be there to give you 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep!

Niff

Unknown said...

Am glad to see you are still prompted to take pictures - no matter how tired you are.
I am glad Carter is able to amuse you with his antics. That has to help.
love
Bamma

Kelli said...

Mama Sue, hang in there! Just keep thinking of the months ahead when things get a little easier. And, remember, God can allow you to do things you yourself can't do...I heard Henry Blackabee say this not too long ago on a video, and it really impacted me. Don't forget to let God help you!