Sunday, September 6, 2009

On our own

Well, we said goodbye to the last of our visitors yesterday as Debbie left us to head back to Decatur. We are so appreciative of her traveling up here to help with Callen, Carter and our home/family. We ate some yummy meals and enjoyed her company. Somehow, during her trip, the only picture that I managed to take of her with Callen was when she was bathing her clearly, the sleeplessness is catching up with me, and I promised I wouldn't put that one on the blog. We'll have to take some good pictures when we go to visit.

Nick did take some cute pictures of Debbie and Carter giving Raf-Raf {Carter's giraffe lovey} "stitches." Wrigley likes to take off with our children's toys/blankets/etc and chew them up. Raf-Raf had a few boo-boos that distressed Carter, so Debbie agreed to help us fix him up.

We are plugging along. Still not a lot of "normal" sleep going on in our house--at least as far as Callen is concerned. When she wakes up to eat at night, she does not go back down easily, so that means generally means less sleep for us. She is beginning to wake up a little more during the day now, though, so maybe that will help us turn the corner a bit. We'll see. I am trying not to be too hopeful.
Snoozing in the swing
Also, I wanted to thank those of you who responded to my last post and/or said a prayer {or prayers} for us. Because I was concerned, I made an appointment with the lactation consultant to see if there was anything else I could be doing to help her gain weight. Almost immediately after I got there, I felt better. First of all, the lactation consultant told me that her discharge weight {which they hadn't told me at discharge} was 6lb, 3.3oz, so 6lb, 4oz was at least above that. Then, she mentioned that different scales will give you different readings {duh, but I didn't think about that}, i.e. the scale at the ped's office is probably different from the hospital scale. Finally, she weighed Callen on the same scale that they'd weighed her at discharge and she weighed 6lb, 9oz! Yay! That was 6oz in 6 days since discharge, which is pretty darn good. Whew, I am feeling much better on the feeding front, and Callen seems to be staying awake a little better during the feedings.

On top of all that, college football kicked off this weekend! Carter was excited for the Tide game and got ready by watching College Gameday! Nothing like a Tide victory to kick off the season!
Watching Gameday
I am looking forward to having Nick at home tomorrow for Labor Day before settling into what will become our new routine unfortunately, I can't have help at our house forever! I hope that you and your family have/had a great Labor Day weekend!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

YAY! So glad that her weight is increasing and you are feeling better about it. It's amazing what a little reassurance can do for you! So glad you went to the lactation consultant for that peace of mind. Still praying for you to get more sleep.... that makes a big difference too! Can't wait for our little babies to meet someday. Will you guys be in Decatur for Thanksgiving by any chance??

Chris, Kristin, and Emily said...

so glad to hear that things are better on the feeding front! it's so hard when the are so tiny...i rememeber having to go weigh, feed, and weigh emily again for a few days in the beginning on orders of the ped. sounds like everything was just a fluke. hoping the sleeping gets better soon as well!