Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Week One


Well, it is hard to believe, but we have made it to the one week mark. It sure has gone by quickly {for me, at least}. We have had an incredibly busy week, so I thought I'd show you a little bit of what we've been doing since you know it hasn't been sleeping.

Popsy and Gigi came up to meet Callen.

They also brought a wonderful birthday present for Carter--a "big boy" divided plate and mug. Can you tell he loved them? He has been asking to eat out of them, but they do have to take a break to be washed.

Callen had her first sponge bath on the kitchen counter. I thought she would hate it, but much to my surprise, she didn't fuss. It actually seemed to relax her quite a bit.

Bamma headed back home after spending a week with us and providing so much help! We miss having her here, but are thankful for the time she spent with us!

Uncle Steve came to visit us, and in addition to providing help around the house and with the new baby, he has been Mr. Entertainer with Carter. We even ventured to the pool this afternoon, so Carter could show off his diving board skills to Uncle Steve.


This is what Callen did at the pool. I guess we'll have to wait until next summer for her to experience the water. Let's hope she loves it as much as her big brother does.
We also had our one week pediatrician appointment today. In general, the doctor was pleased with our sweet little one. She said Callen's color was good, everything looks and feels "right," she had grown about 3/4 of an inch, BUT she was only 6 lbs, 4 oz! {that's down 8 oz from her birth weight} So, we have another weight check next week to make sure the little one is beefing up. She seems to nurse okay, but she pulls off/on, and tends to fall asleep {or not wake up hardly at all} much more so than Carter did at this stage. All of that to say...if any of you other moms out there have any suggestions for keeping her awake, making sure she is nursing long enough, keeping her on instead of pulling off/on, PLEASE let me know. And...any prayers you want to send our way would be much appreciated!

8 comments:

The Nix Family said...

Hey SueSue, I know it seems incredibly cruel but a cold spoon on Henry's feet or back would wake him up a bit while nursing. I felt so mean but it helped him to wake up for a few minutes...the lactation nurse at the hospital told me to do it...I wasn't just a mean momma!!! Callen is beautiful! I am glad to know that Carter is doing so well being a big brother!!

Jennie-Marie said...

Hey Sue, Callen is beautiful! So glad this week has gone by fast. That has to be a good sign. I just said a prayer about the nursing thing; that has been my greatest anxiety with the new baby and how I will manage nursing time and EH time and new baby time. But I know it will be fine and people do it all the time and they do it again and again and again. I've kind of laughed at myself about thinking I wanted to have 4 children, how in the world does that work?!! Maybe we'll just have 3. Hang in there, I know you are doing great! Take care of yourself and your precious children.

Button said...

Looks like y'all have had a house full of folks--even BEFORE the visitors! :) I'm glad that Carter got to have some "Unca Steve" time and hang out at the pool.

I'm glad everyone seems to be doing/adjusting well and I have no doubt that Callen will "beef up," as you put it, in no time.

Love y'all!
Aunt B

Leigh Collins said...

Ok, so since I am a former NICU/Baby nurse, I'll chime in with my professional advice! These are the things we would tell mom's and do ourselves if we were having trouble feeding our babies in the NICU (not to mention, I used these tricks at home with both of mine). First, try unwrapping her from her swaddle or blankets or some of her clothing (just don't let her get too chilled); take her hat off (if you are keeping one on her sweet little head); tickle or lightly thump the bottom of her feet while feeding; vigorously rub her back up and down; lightly (not too light or she will go to sleep) rub her head; and just tickle or mess with her cheeks and chin. There were some babies that I took care of that required some kind of stimulation the entire feeding to keep awake.Hope these help!

Caroline said...

Hey girl. Hope things start going better with the nursing. I know it is so frusturating. My problem is that Mason is a baraccuda and I think he likes to "chew"... when I can get him awake. My nipples are on FIRE! LOL But I have to get him awake first... I usually unwrap him when starting to nurse on one side to wake him up. Then change his diaper after he finishes on the one to keep him awake for the other side. Rubbing their feet or kindof "plucking" their feet usually stimulates them enough to suck. Or even take a cold wipe and rub it on their face, tummy or feet to wake them up. Unfortunately, the boobies are very comfortable for the babies to sleep on! haha I just can't keep Mason awake during the day other than to feed. He is starting to sleep better at night but I think if I could get him to be alert/awake just a little bit it would be even better. Hope you are getting some sleep!!! I am praying for you guys too. :) Enjoy that sweet girl.

Maggie Pelton said...

Congrats on surviving week one!! You've had a ton of company/help! I cannot offer any breastfeeding advice. It's hard for me every time. Sorry.

Unknown said...

Miss ya'll - hope things are better
love
Bamma

Leslie said...

Congratulations on your new baby girl!! She is so cute!! Looks like her first week was a busy one! My brother-in-law and sister-in-law in Indiana just had their little boy too!! Babies are all around!! As far as the nursing thing, just keep doing all the things to keep her awake...rubbing her feet, take blankets off so she is a tad cold, etc. Mine always slept while nursing and it was extremely frustrating but it will all work out. Each week she will be more awake for it!!