Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Joys of Freedom

After we had a successful week at the beach with Carter in a big-boy bed, we decided not to go back to the crib. Nick made the necessary adjustments to the bed in our guest room {which is to say that he took the box springs and matress off of the bed frame and put them on the floor}, and we moved Carter into his very own big-boy bed & room.

At the beach, he didn't get out of the bed; he just went right to sleep for naps and at night. Now, I can see that this probably had quite a bit to do with his level of exhaustion. His first night at home was a very different experience. He kept getting out of the bed and running all around the upstairs. We decided to jimmy his door shut since it is the room with the faulty doorknob/latch that we still haven't really fixed, and establish the rule that you can get out of your bed--to get a book or a stuffed animal, for example--but you can't leave your room, and you have to get back in the bed. I told him that if he would do that for the week, then we would get a special treat {a milkshake, which he got last Friday night! Yay!}

So, one evening earlier this week, I read him some books, jimmied the door closed and left him upstairs to go to sleep. A brief while later, Nick says, "he's out of his bed." I asked if he was out of his room and the answer was no, so I let it go. After maybe 30 minutes, all was quiet, so I went up to check on the little guy and make sure that he was sleeping in his bed rather than on the floor.

This is what I found:

In case you are missing it, here's a close up:

Just for the record: I don't put my child to sleep with shoes on. He got out of the bed to put his crocs on the wrong feet to go to sleep.

He always makes me smile and laugh when I least expect it. I love it!

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Jody, Andrea, Banks, Mary Reese & Owen said...

Love it! He must take after Mary Reese...I never know what I am going to find in the bed with her the next morning! Glad he is adjusting to the big boy bed!

Button said...

I guess that's Carter's equivalent of "Let me get my purse!" You've always got to be ready to go! You never know when someone's going to ask you if you want to go somewhere with them!

Love y'all!
Aunt B

StaceyLWillis said...

So cute!

Unknown said...

I wish for you the same temperament for "Fitz". Cannot believe he obeys the "rules" at less than 2. None of ya'll ever did.
Cannot wait for you to be here.
love
Bamma

Murphy Family said...

That is the cutest thing I have seen in a long time. LOVE that he has them on the wrong feet...Connor is all in to that right now, too. He throws a FIT sometimes when I try to put them on the right feet, so I just let him wear them on the wrong ones!

Leslie said...

That is too cute that he is sleeping with his shoes on!! Got to love crocs! Just wanted you to know I put a shout out to you on my blog for the AW-Summ award...go check it out!!