Monday, February 11, 2008

Carter's Baptism

Just a happy fellow ready for my baptism

This past Sunday was a very special day for our family. Carter was baptized on Sunday at Canterbury United Methodist Church in Birmingham, AL. It was such a wonderful day. Nick and I were able to stand at the front of the church--the same church we were married in just over 5 years ago--and pledge that we will teach Carter about the Lord, keep Carter in the ministry of the church, and live lives that demonstrate our faith in Christ, so that Carter can one day confirm his membership in Christ's holy church. Sunday was probably one of the three most amazing, awe-inspiring days of my life (our wedding and his birthday are the other two.)! I am truly humbled by a God who loves us as much as ours does and entrusts his children to our care while they are here on earth. My prayer is that Nick and I live our lives according to His calling and do all that we can to help Carter learn to love the Lord and have a relationship with Him also.
Carter was an absolute angel during the ceremony and throughout the church service. He wore the baptism gown that Nick's mom made for our nephew's baptism almost 5 years ago. Banks wore the gown, then his sister Mary Reese wore it, and now Carter has worn it. You should check out the pictures on Andrea's blog of all three little ones in the gown.
We were fortunate to have many family members and friends help us celebrate this important day of Carter's life with us. After church, my parents were gracious enough to let us host a luncheon at their home. Nick cooked some yummy gumbo and we were able to visit with our family and friends. We very much appreciate everyone sharing in our joy on such a wonderful occasion.


We did have one slight tragegia (that is what my nephew, Banks, calls tragedies). On Saturday when I picked up the cake that we had for desert, they had just finished it. Apparently, I drove a little too fast or a little too carelessly on the way home...you guessed it...the cake slid apart. It took four of us (me, Mom, Dad, & Emily) to reassemble it. It didn't look as good as it did when I left Olexa's, but it tasted just as good! In the pictures below, the top two are the "before" and the bottom two are "after" we put it back together!


The before and after cake pictures

4 comments:

Jody, Andrea, Banks, Mary Reese & Owen said...

Thanks for sharing such a great weekend with us! The cake still tasted delightful!!! Can't wait to see everyone again.

Button said...

You know you can't ever have a party without one slight mishap! It was great to see y'all Sunday. I wish we could have spent more time with y'all, but hopefully we can remedy that in the near future!
Love you!

Anonymous said...

What? I get no pub on my toothpick positioning, cake fixing directions?

I can assure you, the look of the cake in no way affected its taste. I have eaten pieces everyday since. Twice on Sunday.

-Steve

Unique Gowns said...

Love the detail in the christening gown, it looked smashing ! Best wishes Dana

http"//uniquechristeninggowns.blogspot.com